History and Economics Option
It is aimed at students from different programs at the University interested in studying the latest of the general aspects of both disciplines. The update offered by this option intends to cover aspects related to the theoretic-methodological areas of Ecnomics and History, and familiarize students with historic processes and research in the area of History and Economics.
The following are the objectives of this Option:
- Provide the basic tools to understand the most relevant components in both disciplines
- Update the methodologies created over the last few decades in Economics and History.
- This Option favors the analysis and criticism of History and Economics through research.
This Option is coordinated together with the Department of History.
The History and Economics Option is a structured interdisciplinary option with undergraduate courses in History and Economics. It consists of 18 credits, distributed in three areas as follows:
- Area of History: Two or three elective courses (6 or 9 credits) offered by the Department of History.
- Area of Economics: Two or three elective courses (6 or 9 credits) offered by the Department of Economics.
- Area of Research: One course (3 credits): After taking the previous 15 credits, students have two possibilities to complete the option and obtain the remaining 3 credits. They can choose between:
- Enrolling in a Seminar on History or Economics offered by one of the two departments.
- Carry out a guided research project (this is a research project carried out by the student under the guidance of a professor from the corresponding Department on the topic chosen by the student). As a result of the research project, students will hand in an essay, equivalent to an article.
- There is no guarantee that all the courses will be given every semester; the list may vary with new offers.
- Students are recommended to be on the alert for the updated list available at the Coordination Unit of the History Department each semester to choose the subjects for their option.
- Subjects marked with an asterisk are given on a yearly basis.
- This option cannot be taken by students of Economics or History
Contact Position: Coordinadora Académica Departamento de Historia
Liaison at the School or Department