The Masters Degree Program offered by the Mathematics Department of the Universidad de los Andes since January 1975 trains professionals capable of conducting high-quality work in the areas of research, pure and applied mathematics, teaching at university level, application of the theoretical methods provided by Mathematics to natural and social sciences, and engineering. It is also an invitation to those who want to follow their vocation of mathematicians.
The Masters Degree Program on Mathematics must be regarded as the natural continuation of the undergraduate course in Mathematics, commenced by the department in 1964, whose quality is widely recognized.
The program includes two compulsory courses:
- Functional Analysis or Measurement and Integration, which have the Topology course as a pre-requisite.
- Abstract Algebra 2 (Polynomial rings, Field Extensions, Galois theory). For this course, the Abstract Algebra course (theory of groups and rings) is a pre-requisite.
Five elective courses at master's level for a total of 15/20 credits.
Two graduate seminars (4 credits).
Seminar on the Graduation Project and Area Exam (3 credits).
Pre-requisites: Compulsory courses and at least 4 elective courses.
Graduation project (12 credits).
Pre-requisite: Seminar on Graduation project.
Areas of Concentration
- Algebra, logic, combinatory and theoretical computing sciences.
- Dimensional geometry and its application on theoretical physics.
- Differential Equations, Functional and Numerical Analysis.
- Methodology for teaching Mathematics.
- Applied Mathematics: Probability, Statistics, Stochastic Processes, optimization and Control, and Financial Mathematics.
|MATE-4902||Seminario de Postgrado II||
|Total Credit Hours:||11
|MATE-4903||Seminario de Trabajo de Grado||
|Total Credit Hours:||6
|MATE-4904||Trabajo de Grado||
|Total Credit Hours:||12
The program pursues to develop professionals in the field of mathematics who are capable of developing high-quality work in university teaching, as well as in State-owned and private enterprises.