The School of Medicine at the Universidad de Los Andes contributes to the Academy through its Study Plan, research projects, advisory and consulting, by encouraging the education of medical doctors who are committed to their practice.
The School of Medicine is supported by two institutions that have a high joint commitment level with medical education and delivery of health care services. Currently, all efforts are aimed at two main Objectives: Implementation and development of the undergraduate syllabus, bearing in mind that this program is based on a special philosophical and curricular platform in Colombia. The undergraduate program is fundamental as a platform for graduate programs that will follow the same guidelines.
Regarding research, by encouraging education of scientific medical doctors who will foster new medical developments and solutions to inherent medical issues. Research guidelines progress jointly with institutions in Colombia as well as the United States.
With regard to social scope, by educating medical doctors who will show adequate behaviors with their patients, colleagues and with society at large, committed to the community, and capable of leading projects based on research, proper knowledge and social reality.
- General Basic Sciences: During the first three semesters, with emphasis in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Uniandes Basic Cycle: Cycle distributed along the first five years, consisting of the following areas: Arts and Humanities, Science and Technology and Social Sciences.
- Basic Medical Sciences: Five semester term between third and fifth. Begins with the introductory courses in Anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology and Immunology. Ends up with three semesters of System Integrators, which joins knowledge and work performed between the basic medical and clinical areas, guided through clinical cases, but with a good in-depth knowledge of medical basics
- Social Medicine Cycle: Family medicine, medical doctor-patient relationship, communication skills, and health psychology
- Professional Cycle: Since first semester, students are in contact with the hospital environment, emphasizing it on the clinical practice semesters which are: seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth and since these two last ones they simultaneously start their concentration area. Through the Teaching Assistance Agreement between Universidad de Los Andes and Fundacion Santa Fe de Bogotá medical rotations of high tech level are performed at University Hospital Fundacion Santa Fe de Bogotá. FSFB has a third level general hospital, with 180 beds, 10 surgery rooms, 4 intensive care units and assists nearly 50.000 persons per year in the emergency clinic and 10.000 hospital discharges. This hospital has 170 institutional medical doctors who are dedicated exclusively and work on a full-time basis. All of them are specialists and sub-specialists having a broad experience in medical teaching.
- Internship: It is studied in eleventh and twelve semesters. First semester is based upon specialty rotations: emergencies, anesthesia, orthopedics, internal medicine, general surgery, pediatrics, and gyneco-obstetrics; second semester is the elective component so as to complete your concentration area.
Areas of Research or Concentration